UNICEF Challenge - SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
In collaboration with the UNICEF, we are hosting challenges for individuals, groups, science clubs and schools.
Challenge - SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
What is the challenge?
In this challenge we learn about Internet of Things (IoT) and its applications in our daily lives. Smart cities, smart villages and smart farming are all supported by IoT.
The challenge is for you and your team to identify an agricultural or industrial operation close by, visit the site and identify an IoT project that could be conducted to improve management, efficiencies, and decision-making. Your submission includes your recommendations on an innovation or optimisation of an existing system by IoT enabling, that could be made to serve sustainable cities and communities.
How do we tackle this challenge?
- Preparation - You will be supported through this challenge, and we will provide background information and support, to give context to this challenge.
- Part 1 – Set up your SDG STEM kit, with a variety of sensors, to collect data and post to the data dashboard over at least three days, demonstrating that you can connect IoT devices.
- Part 2 – Agricultural IoT application:
- Identify an agricultural or industrial operation close by where you could set up your kit to monitor the outdoor conditions. Ensure that the kit is connected to WiFi and Internet so that you can remote monitor from the Kibana Dashboard.
- Collect data for a week and discuss your dashboard display with the operation's management. Can you identify a data set that could be used as the input to an IoT application that could benefit them?
- Design your IoT process and set up a dashboard to inform the operation's management - develop a platform for decision-making for them
- Part 3 - interview the operation's management and produce a three-minute video on how this IoT application has assisted them, in line with achieving UN Sustainable Development Goal 11. Your submission includes this video.
When you sign up for this challenge, you will be given access to our learning portal. Once you access this portal you will be able to ask questions of industry specialist mentors, access support materials and videos.
There is a link in the learning portal for you to submit your challenge report and link to your video.
We will be awarding prizes to the top 40 submissions received before the deadline.
To participate in this challenge you will need the SDG STEM kit with the Advanced Add-On Kit.
If you not have a kit, tackle these two challenges to earn it:
- SDG 7 - Affordable and Clean Energy (details here)
- SDG 15 - Life on Land (details here)
To participate in this challenge sign up here.
Back to all challenges...
Changing the world isn't easy, and we couldn't do it alone.
A core value of MaxIQ is to be able to provide our educational resources to students around the globe, especially those who live in areas where there is a lack of educational infrastructure to support these young minds in achieving their full potential. MaxIQ wouldn't be able to fulfill our mission without support from...