UNICEF Challenge - SDG 15 Life on Land
In collaboration with the UNICEF, we are hosting challenges for individuals, groups, science clubs and schools.
Challenge - SDG 15 Life on Land
What is the challenge?
In this challenge we learn about micro climates, collect and analyse data and report on findings and data analysis. The challenge is for you to collect data in your environment to assess your micro-climate. Your submission includes your recommendations on changes that could be made to improve life on land in your community and surroundings.
How do we tackle this challenge?
- Preparation - You will be supported through this challenge, and we will provide background information and support, to give context to this challenge.
- Part 1 – Set up your STEM kit to collect data and post it to the data dashboard over at least one week.
- Part 2 – validate your data:
- Complete an assignment with data collected by an identical kit in a controlled environment (solar eclipse). The output of this assignment is understanding the correlations between data sets
- Extract 24 hours of data from your own kit and apply the same methods as in the assignment
- Is your data reliable enough? Do you need to change your kit installation to make the data more dependable?
- Based on at least 7 days of data collection, how would you classify your micro-climate in your immediate environment?
- Part 3 - what three recommendations can you make to ensure that life on land is maintained or improved in your environment, in line with achieving UN Sustainable Development Goal 15?
When you sign up for this challenge, you will be given access to our learning portal. Once you access this portal you will be able to ask questions of industry specialist mentors, access support materials and videos.
There is a link in the learning portal for you to submit your challenge report. The deadline is two months from when you sign up.
We will be awarding prizes to the top 80 submissions received before the deadline.
To participate in this challenge you will need the UNICEF SDG STEM kit.
If you do not have a kit, tackle this open challenge to be awarded one.
To participate in this challenge sign up here.
Back to all challenges...
Changing the world isn't easy, and we couldn't do it alone.
A core value of MaxIQ is to be able to provide our educational resources to students around the globe, especially those who live in areas where there is a lack of educational infrastructure to support these young minds in achieving their full potential. MaxIQ wouldn't be able to fulfill our mission without support from...